Yes, it's time for another Halloween Vampire-O event - the 18th annual!
For those of you who prefer a sprint format event to vampire-O, there will be a mass start Sprint starting at 11 AM. This course will be about 3 km with 10 to 15 controls. Following this Sprint course, the mass start at Noon for the regular vampire-O will commence.
So, what is "Vampire-O", you ask? It's like playing a game of tag while orienteering.
A small number of orienteers are selected as "vampires" at the start of the event. The "vampires" leave 3 minutes after everyone else has begun. You'll have to come to the event to find out more.
Expect the theatrics of previous events, with yet a few new twists this time around...! Come in your Halloween costumes. Halloween refreshments will be available at 1 p.m. for all participants after the Vampire-O.
- Registration 10:30 am - 11:45am
- Start times for a short white beginner course 10:30am - 11:15am
- Mass start sprint at 11:00 a.m.
- Mass start Vampire O at noon
- Course closes 1:00 pm
All teams must check out through the course finish gate before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
Registration and other costs
- The event is open to the public.
- Beginners are welcome at this and all CROC events. Beginner orienteering clinics are taught as needed.
- If you join CROC at this event, ($15 individual, $20 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration.
- If you volunteer for this event, your event fee is FREE also. Contact the meet director if you'd like to help (no prior experience necessary).
- All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course.
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands.
Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can still run your course of choice and help out
- Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to help out with this event.
For more details, see the volunteer pages.
CROC event fees
- $8 - individual (non-member)
- $12 - group (non-member, going out using one map)
- $6 - individual (club member)
- $10 - group (club member, going out using one map)
- $2 - extra copy of color map
- $1 - compass rental
Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
Results - Results are posted a few days after the event on the "Events / Results" page.
Meet director Vanessa Blake