- Registration 9:30 am - 10:45am
- Beginner Instruction Clinics - as needed
- Course starts 10:00 am - 11:00am
- Courses close 1:00 pm
We are set for ski-orienteering again this year at Teacup Lake. Note: because this winter is a low snow year, this event has been cancelled.
Why not try a little orienteering in the snow? Teacup is always a great place to ski. And even if you ski there regularly ski orienteering gives you a different way of experiencing Teacup Lake. Beginners at orienteering are welcome, as always.
There will be 3 courses available:
- Short (about 4km, easy ski trails, good for beginning skiers)
- Medium (about 7km, a few controls will be off the main groomed trails on short, skied-in trails made just for the event)
- Long (about 10km, more difficult skiing; several controls will be off the main trails on short, skied-in trails)
If you don't own skis, no worries. There are several local stores that offer Nordic ski rentals: REI (only available at their downtown Portland store, 1405 NW Johnson St.); Mountain Shop (1510 NE 37th Ave., Portland); Next Adventure (corner of SE Stark and Grand). There are also places in Sandy along the main drag (Otto's Cross Country Ski Shop, 38716 Pioneer Blvd.), It's always best to get your skis early in case there's a race!
All participants must check out through the course finish gate before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
Registration and other costs
The event is open to the public.
Note: If you join CROC at this event, ($15 individual, $20 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration. All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course.
In addition to event fees below, you'll also need a sno park pass for parking as well as to pay a trail fee (if you're not a Teacup Nordic Club member) - a suggested $10 donation to Teacup Lake (annual membership in Teacup Nordic covers this fee). Sno park permits are not for sale at the event. See a list of sno park park pass vendors
The Columbia River Orienteering Club fees are:
- $8 - individual (non-member)
- $12 - group (non-member, going out using one map)
- $6 - individual (club member)
- $10 - group (club member, going out using one map)
- $1 - extra copy of color map
- $1 - compass rental
Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
Meet director: Scott Drumm