Yes, it's time for another Halloween Vampire-O event - the 20th annual!, Come on out and view the impressive fall foliage of Magness Tree Farm at this fun, family-friendly orienteering event with a Halloween twist. You are on a mission to collect as many points as possible (in Score-O style), while vampires are out to steal your points back from you! The catch is that you won't know who's a vampire until it's TOO LATE...
Come dressed for the occasion in your Halloween costumes; there will be a special prize for the Best Dressed.
Halloween refreshments will be available at 1 pm for all participants, with awards for the top 3 finishers at 1:30 pm.
There will also be a short, beginner-friendly sprint course (with special pumpkin maze feature)!
The main event will have a mass start at noon. You have 1 hour to find as many controls as you can in any order you want (aka score-O format). Points are deducted if you take more than an hour, and try to avoid vampires!
As a warm-up event, we'll also have a sprint course with start times from 10:30 to 11:15.
- Registration 10:30 am - 11:45am
- Start times for sprint course 10:30am - 11:15am
- Mass start Vampire O at noon
- Course closes 1:00 pm
- Snacks and awards, 1:00-1:30 pm
All teams must check out through the course finish before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands. Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can still run your course of choice and help out
- Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to help out with this event. For more details, see the Volunteer pages.
REGISTRATION AND OTHER COSTS
- The event is open to the public.
- Beginners are welcome at this and all CROC events. Beginner orienteering clinics are taught as needed.
- If you join CROC at this event, ($20 individual, $25 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration.
- If you volunteer for this event, your event fee is FREE also. Contact the meet director if you'd like to help (no prior experience necessary).
- All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course.
Fees for this event are (new as of March 2017):
- $17 - individual (non-member)
- +$5 - any additional persons in your group
- kids under 10 are free
- youth groups / scout groups: $10 per team
- subtract $5 for CROC members
- subtract $5 for using your own epunch
Results are posted a few days after the event on the Events & Results page.
Meet director: Mike and Marsha Holliday
Map and Directions
Directions to Magness Tree Farm (from Portland)
- Take I-5 south from Portland to exit #283 (Wilsonville)
- At the end of the exit ramp, take a right onto Wilsonville Road
- After 4.3 miles, take a right onto Edminston Road
- After 1.3 miles, take a right onto SW Ladd Hill Road
- After .4 miles, take the right at the fork in the road by the Magness Memorial Tree Farm sign
- The public parking lot is 100 yards ahead on the left