CROC returns to Champoeg State Park for another night orienteering event. Plan on both fine map reading with a dense area of trails, and some longer runs through the wide-open spaces of this large park. Expect for get a bit muddy, and enjoy the extra challenge of wayfinding at night.
New for 2018: We are starting about 20 minutes before it gets completely dark, so you have a chance to find a few controls and get familiar with the map before darkness falls. (For those of you who love night orienteering, you will still have more than an hour on the 90 minute course in full darkness)
Please bring: 1) a quality flashlight or headlamp with fresh batteries, 2) a watch, 3) clothing appropriate for the weather (and maybe a change of clothes for the drive home).
Beginners are welcome at this and all CROC events. We'll have free beginner clinics as needed prior to the start.
- Registration 5:30 pm - 6:15 pm
- Beginner clinics 5:30 pm - 6:15 pm as needed
- Mass start 6:30 pm sharp
- Course closes 7:30 pm for 60 minute runners, 8:00 for 90 minute runners. (Volunteers much appreciated for control flag pickup afterwards, hint hint! Volunteers pay no fee at this event, see more below.)
All teams must check out through the course finish gate before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
This event will be in score-O format. Teams have 60 or 90 minutes to find as many controls as possible, in any order. Points are deducted for arriving at the finish after 90 minutes, so don't be late! Electronic scoring will be used. (If you register for the 60 minute event and arrive at the finish after 60 minutes, you will automatically be moved to the 90 minute category.) Electronic scoring will be used.
Orienteering map from a previous event
See a map of a previous event here. (Opens Google Drive in a new browser tab)
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands.
Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can still run your course of choice and help out
- Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to help out with this event.
For more details, see the volunteer pages.
Results are posted to our Events and Results page a few days after the event.
Registration and other Costs
The event is open to the public.
Note: If you join CROC at this event, ($20 individual, $25 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration. All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course.
Payment is by cash or check only; credit/debit cards are not accepted.
Fees for this event are:
- $17 - individual (non-member)
- +$5 - any additional persons in your group
- kids ages 9 and under are free
- youth groups / scout groups: $10 per team
- subtract $5 for CROC members
- subtract $5 for using your own epunch
Directions and Map to event
- From Interstate 5, take the Donald exit (Exit 278).
- Follow the signs to Champoeg Park: Drive west on Ehlen Road. Go about 3.6 miles.
- Turn right on Case Road. Go about 1.4 miles.
- Turn left on Champoeg Road. Go about 0.9 miles.
- Turn right into the park at the entrance. Follow the orienteering signs to the event start area.
NOTE: There is a self-registration station at the park entrance where you can pay the per-vehicle daily use fee. ($5)