Orienteering fans - How about a NEW VENUE, close to Portland, with hills, water features, and runnable open forest? Welcome to CROC's newest map, Horning's Hideout, a privately owned enclave hosting disc golf, weddings, trout fishing, music festivals, adventure races and now orienteering, near North Plains off Highway 26. (Note - there's no cell phone service at the venue.)
Enjoy open fields, some open runnable forest (a rarity in the Coast Range) beautiful creek and ponds and the occasional peacock, all on a brand new map.
CROC thanks the Horning family for their generosity in making their property available for orienteering.
- Registration 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Intermediate Workshop: Matching Map to Terrain - 10:00-10:45 a.m
- Instruction Clinics 11:00 am - 1:00 pm as needed
- Course starts 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Courses close 3:00 pm
All teams must check out through the course finish gate before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
- Beginner / Intermediate (about 2 Km, 8-10 controls, easy, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Intermediate / Advanced (about 5 Km, 15+ controls, mostly off-trail navigation.)
Electronic scoring (e-punch) will be used on all courses. Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet. All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course.
Intermediate Workshop: Matching Map to Terrain
In this free workshop participants will practice matching contour lines, linear features and symbols on the map to the hills, vegetation boundaries and buildings on the ground. There will be three exercises done in groups, pairs or singly. Meet at the registration area at 10:00.
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands. Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can help out AND still run your course of choice
- Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to volunteer at this event.
Results are posted to the Events & Results web page a few days after the event.
REGISTRATION AND OTHER COSTS
The event is open to the public. Note: If you join CROC at this event, ($20 individual, $25 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration. Note that payment for CROC events is by cash or check only.
Horning's Hideout requires a $4 per person day use fee upon entering the property at a self-serve kiosk. (Credit cards are accepted.)
Fees for this event are (new as of March 2017):
- $17 - individual (non-member)
- +$5 - any additional persons in your group
- kids under 10 are free
- youth groups / scout groups: $10 per team
- subtract $5 for CROC members
- subtract $5 for using your own epunch
Meet director John Godino
DRIVING DIRECTIONS AND MAP TO EVENT
from Portland city center:
- From Portland, take Hwy 26 west to North Plains, exit 57.
- Go right (north) about 1.7 miles on Glencoe and then Shadybrook Road.
- Turn left onto Pumpkin Ridge Road. Proceed about 4.8 miles.
- Look for the "Horning's" sign, turn right and head about a mile on a gravel road to the property.