Lacamas Park is a large wooded area near Camas, WA. The area features a complex network of canyons and spurs, with a beautiful series of waterfalls, cascades and potholes; some open rocky places, and an extensive trail network. The sound of rushing water can be heard throughout the park, and you may encounter a deer or two.
- Registration 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Beginner clinics 10:45 am - 12:00 noon as needed
- Intermediate workshop: Contours - 10:00 to 10:45 am
- Course starts anytime between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- ALL COURSES CLOSE at 3:00 pm
All teams must check out through the course finish before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
- White: Beginner (about 2 Km, 8-10 controls, easy, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Yellow: Beginner / Intermediate (about 3 Km, 10-12 controls, easy, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Orange: Intermediate (about 4 Km, 12-14 controls, some off-trail, mostly on-trail navigation)
- Green: Advanced (about 5 to 6 Km, 15-20 controls, mostly off trail navigation)
Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
For the advanced courses, wearing long pants or running tights is highly recommended.
Intermediate Workshop: Contour Lines - 10:00-10:45
This workshop focuses on understanding and working with contour lines. Learn what’s up and what gets you down with those squiggly brown lines. Meet at the registration area at 10:00 a.m. After the workshop you can apply the skills in the intermediate orienteering course.
Intermediate Workshops are for people who have done an orienteering course and want to improve their techniques in navigating off trails. No cost for the workshop.
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands. Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can help out AND still run your course of choice
- Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to volunteer at this event. For more details, see the Volunteer pages.
Results are posted to the Events & Results web page a few days after the event.
REGISTRATION AND OTHER COSTS
The event is open to the public. Note: If you join CROC at this event, ($20 individual, $25 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration. All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course. Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
Fees for this event are (new as of March 2017):
- $17 - individual (non-member)
- +$5 - any additional persons in your group ($22 max per team)
- subtract $5 for CROC members (or any other O-club)
- subtract $5 for using your own epunch
- kids under 10 are free
- youth groups / scout groups: $15 per team
There is no entry charge for using the park.
MEET LOCATION: The park area is north of Camas, WA; east of Washington SR 500/SE Everett Rd. Drive over the bridge between Round Lake and Lacamas Lake and turn right on 35th Ave, then left into the gravel parking lot. See map below.