WELCOME TO THE LACAMAS LAKE ORIENTEERING MEET! This is the first classic orienteering event for 2019 AND the first event in our CROC 2019 classic Series.
• Date: Sat. April 6 (10 am to 3 pm)
• Location: Lacamas Lake Park near Camas, WA
• Courses: Four different courses for all skill levels
• Pre-registration available
• Meet Director: Virginia Church
Lacamas Park is a large wooded area near Camas, WA. The park is hilly, with a complex network of canyons and spurs. Cliffs and rock outcrops are abundant. There is an extensive trail network. Open rocky areas showcase wildflowers; however most of the vegetation is lush, and trail running skills will come in handy. Four courses will be offered—see description below. Note that there is poison oak in the park. Long pants and/or gaiters are recommended for the advanced courses.
Electronic scoring (e-punch) will be used on all courses. Learn more about e-punch here.
• Intermediate skills workshop 10:00 am - 11:00 am
• Registration 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
• Beginner clinics 10:30 am and 11 am
• Course starts anytime between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
• All courses close at 3:00 pm (Courses will be picked up)
ALL TEAMS MUST CHECK OUT through the course finish before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
Intermediate Skills Workshop - Match the Map to the Terrain: Three Tricks
Intermediate skills workshops are for people who have done a course and want to improve their navigation skills beyond the Experienced Beginner level. Meet at the registration area at 10:00; no additional fee for the workshop. We’ll finish by 11 so you can apply your new skills to a course at Lacamas Lake.
Match the Map to the Terrain: Three Tricks:
After reviewing what map symbol corresponds to what land feature, we’ll walk a route to “collect features” for navigation. Everyone will get a chance to practice three map techniques that orienteers use in the field.
Meet at 10:00 a.m. by the registration area.
• White: Beginner (about 2 Km, 10 controls, easy, on-trail navigation)
• Yellow: Beginner / Intermediate (about 3 Km, 12 controls, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
• Orange: Intermediate (about 4 Km, 10 controls, some off-trail, mostly on-trail navigation)
• Green: Advanced (about 6 Km, 12 controls, some off-trail, mostly on-trail navigation)
REGISTRATION AND OTHER COSTS
Payment is by cash or check only; credit/debit cards are not accepted.
Fees for this event are:
• $7 - individual (base rate)
• +$5 - any additional persons in your group
• +$5 - not an orienteering club member
• +$5 - e-punch rental
• Scout or youth groups - $12 per team
Become a CROC member - Buy your own e-punch
There is no entry charge for using the park.
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands. Please keep in mind:
• No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
• You can help out AND still run your course of choice
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, and checking folks in at registration. Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to volunteer at this event. For more details, see the Volunteer page.
Meet director: Virginia Church
Location and driving directions
The park area is north of Camas, WA; east of Washington SR 500/SE Everett Rd. PLEASE APRK IN THE OVERFLOW PARKING LOT. Drive over the bridge between Round Lake and Lacamas Lake and turn right on 35th Ave, then left into the gravel parking lot. Event area is at one of the picnic tables in Lacamas Park (walk south across the pedestrian bridge). See map below.
Latitude longitude coordinates of the event: 45.6055, -122.4058
Copy/paste these latitude longitude coordinates into Google maps or your smartphone mapping app to get a map and driving directions to the event.