Spring time at Champoeg! Along the banks of the Willamette River, this large park has mostly open terrain, runnable oak forest, and a short section of dense trails. There will be four courses from Beginner to Advanced. Instructors will give short instruction clinics for newcomers between 10:45 a.m. and noon. Individuals and teams may start a course any time between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Registration 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Instruction Clinics 10:45 am - 12:00 noon as needed
- Course starts for individuals and teams anytime between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- All courses close 3:00 pm
All teams must check out through the course finish before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
- White: Beginner (about 2 Km, 8-10 controls, easy, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Yellow: Beginner / Intermediate (about 3 Km, 10-12 controls, easy, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Orange: Intermediate (about 4 Km, 12-14 controls, some off-trail, mostly on-trail navigation)
- Green: Advanced (about 5 to 6 Km, mostly off trail navigation)
Orienteering map from previous event
See a map of this location here. Opens Google Drive in a new browser tab
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands. Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can help out AND still run your course of choice
- Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to volunteer at this event. For more details, see the "Get Involved" pages.
Results are posted to the “Events & Results” page a few days after the event.
Registration and other costs
The event is open to the public. Note: If you join CROC at this event, ($15 individual, $20 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration. All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course. Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
The Columbia River Orienteering Club event fees are:
- $8 - individual (non-member)
- $12 - group (non-member, going out using one map)
- $6 - individual (club member)
- $10 - group (club member, going out using one map)
- $1 - extra copy of color map
- $1 - compass rental
- $1 - epunch rental
These fees do not include any extra daily use fee charged by the park. You must pay these separately. Oregon State parks charges $5 for day use, $30 for a 12 month pass and $50 for a 24 month pass.
Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
Meet director: Michael Hanson firstname.lastname@example.org
Map and Directions
- From Interstate 5, take the Donald exit (Exit 278).
- Follow the signs to Champoeg Park: Drive west on Ehlen Road. Go about 3.6 miles.
- Turn right on Case Road. Go about 1.4 miles.
- Turn left on Champoeg Road. Go about 0.9 miles.
- Turn right into the park at the entrance. Follow the orienteering signs to the event start area.
NOTE: There is a self-registration station at the park entrance where you can pay the per-vehicle daily use fee. ($5)