REGISTRATION FOR DESCHUTES DAZE IS NOW CLOSED.
The 6 days of events are bare-bones style. Daily meets focus on excellent maps and courses, but there are no posted results.
Courses are advanced, from brown to red in length. There will be no beginner to advanced beginner courses. We will be using e-punch so everyone can compare their splits. All events are mass starts, with a short starting window and a "start" e-punch unit. (Note: one event is mass start.)
• Wed. Aug 30 - Arnold Ice Cave, high desert, flattish, open sage/pine terrain punctuated with sunken lava tubes. coordinates: 43.905868 -121.159145
• Thurs. Aug 31 - Central Oregon Community College, urban sprint in a complex mix of buildings on a rocky pine-covered slope. See event details for directions to start.
• Fri. Sept 1 - Lower Dutchman Flat, forested, hilly, intricate lava formations. Location/GPS Coordinates: Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center, 13000 Century Drive, Bend; 44°00'18'' 121°40'44"
• Sat. Sept 2 - Lava Butte, flat, open pine forest, individual relay. See event details for directions to start. Coordinates: 43°55’23.64”N, 121°21’3.73”W
• Sun. Sept 3 - Middle Dutchman Flat, forest, hilly; beautiful terrain chock-full of features. Directions/GPS Coordinates: Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center, 13000 Century Drive, Bend 44°00'18'' 121°40'44"
• Mon. Sept 4, Crooked River Grassland, 3-hour Score-O, high desert, hilly. Rogaine-style map will be used. Directions: Latitude longitude coordinates of event site: 44.4288,-121.0900. You will need to read the directions in the event details to drive to the start.
SEE TOP FOR BONUS MAPS AT THE TOP OF THE DUTCHMAN FLAT MAP.
Cost: The entire week of events, August 30 - September 4, is $100 per person. Individual days are $20 per day. Registration closed August 22.
GROUP CAMPSITE at Tumalo State Park 44°07'44.2"N 121°19'52.3"W. The camping has been filled.
If you have previously signed up, camping check-in for the week is 4 PM Tuesday, August 29. Directions to campground in event details, top of page.
T-SHIRTS or HOODIE
Technical t-shirts (Sport-Tek ST350 in Atomic Blue) and Hoodies (Gilden Heavy Blend Hooded Sweatshirt in Sport Grey) may be available for $20 and $28 each. Pre-ordering is now closed.
There are numerous motel/condo/B & B options in Bend. Up in the mountains, there are several walk-in, low-cost, high-scenery, Forest Service campgrounds located on Century Drive east of Bend (near the Dutchman Flat events). These are first-come, first-served, not reservable. Elk Lake Resort on Century Drive has economical camping sites and camping cabins which you can reserve. Camping is allowed in the national forests.
BEND! Between events, you can enjoy the outdoor playground of central Oregon. Must-see near Bend is the High Desert Museum and Lava Butte's trails though the flows. Explore great mountain biking and hiking trails in the Three Sisters wilderness or high desert. Rock climb at world-class Smith Rock, 30 minutes north of Bend. Cool off at some nearby back-country lakes, raft the Deschutes River, or head 2.5 hours south to Crater Lake National Park. The town of Bend offers a wide range of accommodations and some great restaurants.
Contact Event Director Scott Drumm