Battleground Lake State Park Is a little geological mystery, a sort of "mini crater lake" with a sunken caldera and no inlet and no outlet. It has a large network of pathways, open to hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers. Some steeper terrain and dense forest is mixed with some areas of more open meadows.
If this is your first time orienteering, welcome! Free beginner clinics are offered as needed at this event to teach you everything you need to know..
Electronic scoring (e-punch) will be used on all courses. Learn more about e-punch here.
Intermediate Skills Workshop
Intermediate skills workshops are for people who want to advance their skills beyond the Experienced Beginner level. Each session focuses on a particular skill. Meet at the registration area at 10:00; no additional fee for the workshop. After the workshop you will have time to register and do your course of choice.
Reading Contour Lines, and Adjusting Pace Count
We’ll practice reading contour lines to learn what’s up from down, how to visualize steepness, and what is a re-entrant. We’ll also measure our pace count for uphill and downhill, to be able to adjust our count on course legs.
- Intermediate skills workshop 10:00 am - 10:45 am
- Registration 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Instruction Clinics 11:00 am - 1:00 pm as needed
- Course starts 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- ALL COURSES CLOSE AT 3:00 PM
All teams must check out through the course finish gate before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
- White: Beginner (about 2 Km, 8-10 controls, easy, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Yellow: Beginner / Intermediate (about 3 Km, 10-12 controls, on-trail and near-trail navigation)
- Orange: Intermediate (about 3.5 Km, elevation gain, 10-12 controls, some off-trail, mostly on-trail navigation)
- Green: Advanced (about 5 Km, 15+ controls, elevation gain, mostly on trail with some off-trail navigation)
REGISTRATION AND OTHER COSTS
Note: If you join CROC as a new member (not a renewal) at this event, ($20 individual, $25 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration.
There is a day use fee for this park; Washington State Discover Pass is required.
Payment is by cash or check only; credit/debit cards are not accepted.
Fees for this event are:
- $7 - individual
- +$5 - any additional persons in your group
- +$5 - not an orienteering club member
- +$5 - epunch rental
- Scout or youth groups - $10 per team
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands. Please keep in mind:
- No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- You can help out AND still run your course of choice
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to volunteer at this event. For more details, see the Get Involved pages.
Times will be posted to the Events & Results page a few days after the event.
Meet Director Abra Mcnair
Map and Driving Directions
Latitude longitude coordinates of the event site. Copy and paste these into a mapping app on your phone or Google maps to get a map and driving directions to this location.
From Portland City Center:
- North on I-5 for to Exit 11, Hwy 502, Battleground.
- Drive east about 10 miles through the town of Battleground.
- Continue through town on E. Main St. At the far end of town, this turns into NE 219th.
- Head east about 2 miles to a four-way stop sign at NE 182nd Ave. Take a left here, proceed about 1.5 miles and you will be at the park entrance.