Magness Tree Farm, better known in recent years during daylight hours as the location for our long-running vampire -O event in October, will see more action this year as we return for night orienteering. The dense trail network will test your map reading skills, and lots of control points make this a great place for those new to night-O to give it a try.
This event is kid friendly, and is a good course to do as a team as well as individually, so feel free to bring a friend. Beginners at orienteering are welcome! We'll have experienced folks at the registration to offer you a quick clinic to get you started on the right foot.
- Registration 5:30 pm - 6:45 pm
- Beginner clinics 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm as needed
- Mass start 7:00 pm sharp
- Course closes 8:00 pm, (volunteers needed for control flag pickup afterwards,, hint hint)
* All teams must check out through the course finish gate before leaving the park, even if the team does not finish the course or returns after the course closes.
This event will be in score-O format. Teams have one hour to find as many controls as possible, in any order. Points are deducted for arriving at the finish after 60 minutes, so don't be late! E-punching will be used.
What to bring
1) A quality flash light or headlamp with fresh batteries. 2) A watch. 3) Clothing appropriate for the weather (and maybe a change of clothes for the drive home).
See our "Events and Results" page.
All CROC orienteering events are put on by volunteers, and the meet director can almost always used some extra hands.
Please keep in mind:
- - No prior experience is needed for many of the tasks
- - You can still run your course of choice and help out
- - Your entry fee is FREE if you help out with a meet!
Typical ways to assist are: helping with starts and finishes, checking in folks at registration, and picking up control flags after the course closes.
Please contact the meet director at the email address on the bottom of this page if you'd like to help out with this event.
For more details, see the volunteer pages.
Registration and other Costs
The event is open to the public.
Note: If you join CROC at this event, ($15 individual, $20 family/group annual membership), your event fee is FREE! Ask about this at meet registration. All participants must register and sign the liability waiver before entering the course.
The Columbia River Orienteering Club charges are:
- - $8 - individual (non-member)
- - $12 - group (non-member, going out using one map)
- - $6 - individual (club member)
- - $10 - group (club member, going out using one map)
- - $1 - extra copy of color map
- - $1 - compass rental
- - $1 - e-punch rental
Each participant or team receives a course map and a control description sheet.
See below for map and directions to the event site. There is no charge for parking.
Meet director: Vanessa Blake